|Bossier Parish Community College collection: 1997.006.116|
Following is the history of Rocky Mount according to a contributor with the initials S.M.N. published in the May 23, 1895 issue of The Bossier Banner.
“The first settler of Rocky Mount was Mr. William Young, who came here in 1849, and built some cabins on the branch north of Rocky Mount. The next year he put up a log house on the hill, which is still standing. The old cabins were removed, and converted into a meat house.”
|Dr. Clifford Hill Irion|
“Dr. Marlow and Mr. Philips built a house in 1853 near Mrs. Hollingsworth’s, which is now the Methodist parsonage.”
“Afterwards nearly all of Rocky Mount was sold to two brothers, Messrs. J. H. and A. B. Hughes.”
“Messrs. A. B. Hughes, B. W. Stewman and R. D. Speight put up a store in 1855, between Capt. W. J. Hughes’ store and Mr. J. H. Hughes’ dwelling, which was torn down and now forms a part of the store at Hughes’ Spur. In this same year (1855), Mr. Philips built for Mr. A. B. Hughes, the dwelling which is now occupied by Mr. Carter.”
“Mr. J. H. Hughes erected a store in 1856 near where Dr. Irion has a shop. He and Mr. William Crawford merchandised there until the breaking out of the war. This store has also been removed.”
“Rocky Mount was first called Keyserville, but when in Mr. Phillips possession, he named it Rocky Mount, on account of its situation.”
“The first post office was established in 1855. In this year the first school house was built, which was afterwards burned. The school house we now use is near the old spot. The first teacher at Rocky Mount was Mr. Wm. Robertson, nephew of Mr. J. W. Martin, who was one of the old citizen.”
“Messers. James Talbert and H. R. L. Winfrey put up the first saw mill on the branch between the school house and Mr. J. H. Hughes’. Mr. Talbert also erected the first blacksmith shop near Mr. J. H. Hughes’ dwelling.”
“Dr. Nelson was the first physician in Rocky Mount. After him came Dr. Arnett. He had for his office a portion of Mrs. Hollingsworth’s dwelling, which was afterwards improved by Mrs. Curry. Dr. Tigner was the third doctor, and had for his office a portion of Mr. J. H. Hughes’ house. Dr. Wilson came about 1856.”
“The Presbyterians were the first denomination to hold services at Rocky Mount. They
organized at the old school house, but before the war they built a church, which is still
|Capt. William Josiah Hughes|
“The Baptist church is a branch of old Cana church, and was built in 1880.”
“Capt. W. J. Hughes has improved Rocky Mount some by having sever- small dwellings
“The Hughes, Leaphearts and Capt. Fish’s family were the leading families of Rocky Mount.
Most of the old settlers have passed away and sleep in the Rocky Mount cemetery.”
To learn more about Bossier Parish history come to the Bossier Parish Libraries History Center,
2206 Beckett St., Bossier City.
By: Amy Robertson