In 1993 the “Historic Sites” signs project was started by the Highland Area Partnership, under the leadership of Director Robert J. Marak. After having great success, the project expanded to include Caddo Parish and Bossier Parish, with a focus on the two cities, Shreveport and Bossier City. A large group of organizations and individuals joined forces, including historians Eric J. Brock and Clifton D. Cardin. Of the 150 sites selected throughout the two parishes, the group received permissions to install 132 historic site signs.
The following is a partial list of the historic site markers and their descriptions, that were placed in Bossier Parish through this project, along with their description.
Red River Ferry Boats - “The Don Juan and Sterling White ferry boats crossed foot and stock traffic to Shreveport from near this point for many years prior to the opening of the first bridge across Red River in July 1884. Prior to this, beginning in the 1840s, another ferry crossed the river about four blocks north of Texas Street.”
Paul Lawrence Home - “Built 1883 after earlier house on site burned. Residence of Dr. Paul Lawrence, respected physician, who performed house calls for over 50 years despite the loss of a leg in the Civil War. Haughton was originally called Lawrenceville in his honor.”
By: Amy Robertson