Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Twentieth Century Letters to Dear Santa

It is Dear Santa Letter Week; a tradition as old as time. Every year, children around the world begin writing their letters to Santa to be sure they make it to the North Pole in time. Over the years our local newspapers have been Santa’s helpers by publishing letters to Santa Claus in the local paper and making sure the letter arrives safely to Santa at the North Pole. The following are letters to Santa that Bossier Parish children have written over the decades.

“Dear Santa Claus:

Please bring me a airgun and a watch and chain.

Goodbye. George M. Gilmer. Age, nine years.” - 1907

“Dear Santa,

I am a little boy 9 yrs. Old and go to school at plain Dealing La. I am crazy about my teacher her name is Mrs. Carrie Lusk. I want you to please bring me a air rifle, fire works, candies fruits and nuts, also a ball. Please Santa visit all the little children that hasen’t [sic] any father or mother.

from your little boy, Perry Pittman” - 1929

“Dear Santa Claus:

I am a little girl six (6) years old and in the first grade. I have been listening to you over the radio, and I saw you in the parade last Saturday. I want you to bring me a wardrobe trunk with a doll and her clothes, and a manicure set. My little sister wants a milk wagon with two horses pulling it, a doll, and a car, and little brother wants a big truck and a train. But, Santa, if you don’t have enough toys for all the poor children give them some of ours, for I don’t want them to be disappointed.

Lots of Love, Nelda Louise McClanahan.” - 1933

“Dear Santa Claus:

I am a little girl just four years old. I have been a good little girl, so when you come to my house this Christmas, please leave me a baby doll. Put it on my Christmas tree. I want the doll to have blue eyes, wear a pink dress and real shoes and socks. Also, please bring me a big red ball with Snow-White on it, a little purse and toy kitty. My stocking will be hanging up by the fire. Put in it for me just a lot of candy, fruit, nuts—and some firecrackers. My stocking is long, but it may not be long enough, so if you can’t get my presents in it, you may use my shoes also.

Your Little Friend, Becky Kilgore.” - 1938

“Dear Santa Clause:

I am a little girl eight years old and in the third grade. I go to Plain Dealing School. I have a little sister three years old. Her name is Carolyn. Dear Santa, don’t forget us on Christmas. I would like to have a Dr. and Nurse set, a doll house and furniture, toy washing machine and a doll. My little sister wants a doll and a wardrobe, a dump truck, a tin set. I am going to sleep good on Christmas. —Jo Ann and Carolyn Farrington.” - 1948

“Dear Santa,

I want a B.A.R. Automatic Rifle. $3.98, Cowboy Guitar with chord player, $4.98, Atomic War Ship, $2.97, Sparkling Combat Tank, $3.98, Honeymoon Express, 88¢, Super Cub with Gasoline motor, $6.95, F-84G Thunderjet, 88¢.

Charles Clements” - 1959

“Deer [sic] Mr. Claus,

I have been a very good, but my brother has been bad so you don’t have to bring him anything. I told you what I wanted when I saw you and I hope you remember.

Jim Stanley” - 1966

“Dear Santa Claus,

I would like you to land on my roof. And go in the house, go in by the door. Then go wake me up and let me see roughdoff [sic].

Love, Nancy Hartwell” - 1977

“Dear Santa,

I’ve been a good boy. My name is Cody. Please bring me a computer.

I love you, Cody” - 1987

Christmas has always been a magical time of year for children. Reading their letters over the decades reveals how war, the economy, and technology have changed their concerns and wants over the years.

By: Amy Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment